Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nethyrmaul the Undying


Nethyrmaul the Undying, a Toothy view
OK, this is probably the most fun I've had painting a miniature in years. It is really a lot of fun to work on something this big and magnificent.

There are several textures that need to be picked out of complete this model:
  • Scales
  • Skin (rotting away)
  • Taut muscles
  • rotting guts and viscera
  • Bones
Each needs to be picked out and assigned a color. I used darkest red for skin, a dark bronze-green for rotting flesh, and lighter green-gray for muscle, and rests and oranges for scales. I used green-gray flesh colors to contrast with the rich dark reds. Overall, the model is pretty dull in color, since I want it to look undead.
Assembly was OK. I glued the lower jaw to the body and then attempted to glue the upper jaw/skull to the lower jaw and body. I suspect I'd have been better off assembling the head first, and the attaching the assembly to the body.

The rear leg is easy to install with a nice fit and hidden seams. The wings are more difficult. Had I assembled first, I'd have used a clamp to really force them in tight. Since I based-coated first, I didn't want to use any sort of mechanism likely to damage the paint further.


Gallery:

Nethyrmaul the Undying, the very best of Reaper Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment